Getting long rafters up by myself is not the easiest of jobs in normal conditions but today the wind was blowing in from the south-west at quite a speed and frustration beckoned. I wanted to get as many rafters as possible up today to make up for only doing two yesterday but I also had to consider safety up a ladder. That was not actually my biggest concern, as it happened. In trying to lever up a rafter on to the beam from down on the floor, a big gust of wind took the rafter which started to slide off the beam and framing and before I knew it, the rafter had hit the floor. Actually it never did hit the floor, it first hit the stack of rafters on the floor and the kitchen bench frame and then my chest. I got quite winded and had to stop for a while as I got my breath back.
Ouch. I felt like I'd taken a body punch in a boxing match. Well except that I've never been in a boxing match. Lucky I was wearing my boxer shorts. Then it started to rain so I decided to take a few moments sitting out the weather in the nice warm ute. Far from wanting to give up, the mishap made me more determined to conquer this recalcitrant beam-with-an-attitude. I nailed it. So by the end of the day the tally was increased by three to 22 complete, 26 to go. The catch - is that beam deconstruction and reconstruction has to happen before 14 of those can go on - so it's not just a straight run to the line.
Again the look of the house has changed with the addition of these rafters and I really love arriving at the start of a day and seeing the houseyness of it all. Undeniably housey.