Three new posts needed! That's 2 less than I had expected, so great news on the minimal wastage front and of course all the beams can be reused. Before the day was done we got the 3 posts we could re-use into the ground at the very specific distances they needed to be from each other. This was way more than I expected to get done and I am extremely grateful to Ivan for today's help and for all the other days he has helped the build pick up pace. You are very generous with your time Ivan, thanks!
After a weekend away resting my body (ribs still sore after the flying rafter incident) I picked up the hole cleaner again on Monday and set about seeing how much further through this reconstruction job I could get. I had picked up the 3 new posts from Bacchus Marsh Building Supplies, who had them in stock ready to go, so I was set for action.
Once again it was a wonderful day starring kangaroos, crimson rosellas (who love sitting on our rafters) and soaring wedgetail eagles performing their impressive aerobatics. I had some manoeuvers of my own to perform with some long pieces of timber. With the aid of a ladder as a temporary structure to keep the posts upright, I got them in the right position and at the right distance, fiddly but eventually effective. It took most of the day but I got the remaining 3 in the ground and ready for cutting the check-outs. I got this done just as the sun was going down and what an inspiring sight (the sunset, not me up a ladder). So that sets up tomorrow up as a day for getting beams up and a return to rafters. I hate having to redo things but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's been less of a pain than I expected. Beautiful still blue sky weather really helps too.