In order to take delivery of our straw bales this week we needed some extra room for a semi trailer to get in. There are so many piles of rock and dirt in inconvenient places and it's been no easy feat getting close enough to the house to offload anything easily. But not any more. At short notice Stu came in and moved around our piles into more manageable positions and also cleared a space for our water tank. As well as this I spent the morning moving and sorting all the offcuts in our timber pile so that I can use them for nogs etc without having to sift through a load of bits and pieces.
As a result the site looks so much better and it's a lot more workable. After that busy morning I began to do the bottom boxing. As usual, our house doesn't match up to a lot of the diagrams we have, but then again we did choose a unique shape! As the house gets closer to completion the angles are becoming more endearing and less infuriating. The thing I enjoy about putting the bottom boxing together (which is what our bales will sit on) is that it hints at the next phase of completion - the walls - which is what most people think of when I mention straw bale building. It's the marquee stage of the project.
By the time I left for home tonight, I had the main components of the boxing for the north side of the house done, tomorrow I will finish it off. Weather permitting that is. It has been consistently windy for the last few days, gusting up to 70kph. There's been no rain though and it's been oddly warm. So as long as I can get the occasional chalk line marked in the still moments, of which there aren't any, and don't get blown away to Tasmania, I'm pretty much on schedule.