Couldn't fascia before
I've been putting it off for so long because the ordinary approach won't work for our house. Surprise surprise! So I'm constructing what will be a wonderful looking fascia from particle board and Colorbond steel in the size and specifications we require. I took on the first part of that today by fitting the board to part of the north side of the house. It's tidying things up quite nicely, and I'm grasping how to proceed by just starting to do it. Trying to figure it all out in my mind isn't always effective and I have to take recommended approaches on faith sometimes, as there aren't sketches or diagrams to illustrate what we want. There could be, but that would cost money and time that we are not prepared to spend on this.
I started off the day struggling with boards which are 415mm x 3600mm by myself, in the wind. The wind! My most constant companion of late. But with a couple of ladders, ropes and clamps I worked out a way of getting it up and roughly in position. Then it was just a matter of nailing it in to the beam and purlin.
So I'm about a third of the way through the job of attaching the boards and then I'll need to get specially fabricated steel to fit our veranda set-up. Once that's fitted, the roof can go on. Brilliant. Interestingly, even if we wanted to do roofing over the last fortnight, the opportunities would have been few and far between considering the winds we've been experiencing. Let's hope it calms down soon.