I've put a stain on our two posts, now tentatively named Arthur and Martha, not sure which is which though. The next thing is to trim the ends to the right size. I used linseed oil to treat them, they've darkened a bit more than I intended but they'll contrast nicely with the lightness of the walls in the lounge. When we have walls that is.
On the subject of walls, I've been looking into how to do these and now that I've worked out what's required, I've put together a timber schedule(a list of timber to purchase). We want to use Mirch pine, which is a lower grade of timber which we can use as the walls are not structural. It's a big saving of money but also uses timber not normally used, often going to waste. So environmentally it's great too. It's a lot of timber though. Maybe we don't need internal walls. Seems like a lot of work.
On Saturday we started off marking out the wall positions on the floor but decided to make better use of our time with two people and moved back to ring beams. We got up a couple of beams on before the day was out, both along the same wall. Another piece to the puzzle is in. We wanted to get the central ridge beam up first but there are two things holding us back. One is that Arthur and Martha aren't up yet. The other is that we'll really need some kind of scaffolding solution before going up to that height and we haven't decided whether we should hire some, buy some or just buy one of those jet packs I've seen that Kiwi guy make(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Jetpack). Personally I like the jet packs option. Or trampolines.