It has been a windy day today, again, but it was a southerly which means it has been a nice cool temperature to work in. Doing this stage by myself is OK but I've had to go slow for safety's sake. At least it feels less perilous with so much floor to catch me should I slip. Which I don't intend to do. The wind may have other ideas. Should anyone give me the old "windy Wellington" line when I tell them where I grew up I shall have to laugh most zephyrously in their face.
There are quite a few stages to putting down the flooring: cutting the insulation into the right shape and size whilst trying to stop it blowing away into the next town, cutting the flooring to size where necessary and it's generally necessary with the wacky shape of our house, making sure the joists are level and packing it up or planing it down if it needs it, laying down the glue on the joists, wrangling the flooring sheet into place single handedly and again trying not to have it blow away, glueing the tongue which goes into the groove, clamping the sheet hard against it's neighbour with the floor dogs and then nailing it in. That's for just one sheet, whatever the size.
We've got about a third of the floor done so far, I'm putting off doing the bathroom and ensuite areas so far because I need to do some more prep to get the slope we need in these rooms to have the floor waste work properly.
We learned this morning that there were a couple of fires in our area on Saturday, we were blissfully unaware although that explains the smoke we got mid afternoon and thankfully they were contained and extinguished. This area is as dry as any so well done the fire fighters! I take my hat off to you all.