Measuring Stump Heights
Finally it feels like I'm working on a house! Progress that feels and looks like progress.
I've been measuring the stump heights with a water level made of 2 short lengths of clear hose attached with connectors to a garden hose in the middle. Syphon water through and I have a level. Very accurate. So once I measured every stump from a central reference height stump, I lopped off the tops. It's very satisfying getting them all at eye level and seeing how well they match. I'm astounded how unreliable visual estimations are - things that look way off are actually perfect and things that look right on are right off!
With stumps all at the same level I have put on Kordon, a termite barrier, with a metal ant cap on top. Add the fact that termites hate cypress pine (our stump timber) and we have 3 levels of anti-termite protection. Then I put on bearers - 2 internal ones to start with. This gives a whole new dimension to the look of the build. It's very satisfying to see this after all the efforts that came before now, that didn't show up visually.
More bearers over the next week and I'll see if it's feasible to get into some joists before Christmas and a wee break.