Website and progress
We have recently renewed our web hosting and domain name to keep this website up and running and keep us blogging. As the bill came up I couldn't help thinking that we had a decent number of people checking the website out and maybe we could make some money out of this somehow. That would certainly help to pay for it. The most obvious way would be to put a couple of Google ads on a part of the page and hope that they get clicked from time to time. I asked Natasha what she thought of this idea.
Clearly websites don't get provided for free and we don't have too much money kicking around, having just bought land a couple of years ago and then built this house we're living in. But Natasha's logic was unstoppable. What we have got from this website goes way beyond keeping our families up to date on our building adventures. It has introduced us to many wonderful people, all interested in strawbale building and all keen to learn. Of course the way to learn has been to help us build so as well as enjoying the stimulation and inspiration of having motivated interesting people around, we get to accelerate the completion of our house. What is really satisfying is watching some of their projects swing into action, such as with Alan & Lucy, Cam & Leora and Hans and Cath.
We're blessed to have met every one of you and we can't thank you all enough for your time and exertion. So the answer is clear. No ads on the website are required! It has well and truly proved its worth.
So on to our progress. We've been at work over the weekend rendering bedroom 3 with Mel. Some of it was only at first coat and some cob was needed in a couple of spots so we did this first. The rest could be given the final coat treatment. As always, Mel staked her place by the mixer and provided us with many batches of perfect render. And when it was possible Natasha picked up the trowel and did her thing. It all went well, we listened to the AFL grand final as we worked and did two walls. I kept going after this with some sponging.
The next day I rendered the final wall. Nice and easy with no windows or doors to slow me down. Then I did more sponging and by the end of the day plus some more work on Monday I had it all finished with the exception of the two small sections that are still at second coat, slowly drying. As soon as they are ready I'll get into that and another room will be habitable!