Well the nesting urge is definitely upon us. Less than 7 weeks until my due date, and we are trying to figure out when we think we might be able to get a certificate of occupancy (C of O) and move in!
We are having a home birth, and have had our eyes (and hearts) firmly set on being in our straw bale house to birth our baby - til now!. We have set ourselves targets and dates to finish so often, for eg end of August, then Sept, then end of Oct, end of Nov etc that we have pretty much given up on guessing when we might get in!
We have a very good idea of what exactly has to be completed
to get our C of O, and last night we had another go at estimating how long it
would take to get it all done. Here is the list of the main things we need to get complete:
* Rendering inside walls 3rd coat (hallway next to laundry to go)
* Rendering outside walls 2nd coat (about 40% to go)
* Getting ceiling in – (installing bulk insulation, sizalation, battens and calico)
* Install windows (early next week, woohooo!)
* Get deck joists done and get our North decking on (with steps etc)
* Install kitchen, shower, laundry trough and toilet, solar hot water
* Hang doors
* Install verandah lining
* Put in lino on wet area floors
* Plumbing final fit off
* Electrical and lighting
* Ensure area from sub-floor to ground is covered in (on outside of house)
So using our estimates, we may just get in before Christmas. HOWEVER everything we have done on the house has taken way longer than our estimates, so my due date of 9th January is still looking rather shaky!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we are
welcoming any help we can get til then. Many tasks are time consuming for
Peter on his own, but not with someone to help him. Sometimes having one person with him can speed things up 3 to
4 times what he can do on his own. So any week-day help we receive is heavenly.