Specifications of the house
We've had a few questions about the actual building of the house, so here's a start:
* Timber - Treated Cypress Pine (termites don't like it)
* No of stumps - 104 plus 13 verandah posts
* Stump holes - 400mm diameter
* Depth of stump holes - 1000mm
* Depth of concrete pads in holes - 200mm
* The stumps were put on the concrete pads and held with packed earth
* Soil classification - H (highly reactive clay)
Stumps to sub-floor:
* Joists and Bearers - 140x45 (but we accidentally did joists at 190x45)
* Sub-floor - yellow tongue particle board (glued and nailed)
* Insulation - Pink Batts F2
* Post & Beam
* Pine posts 2 x 90x45 and 2 red iron bark feature posts, beams 190x45 & 290x45
* Timber stud walls with chicken wire on both sides (straw stuffed inside and rendered) Brian Hodge from Anvill created this type of wall and its registered trademark is Kram wall.
* Insulation - sizalation + bulk
* I-Joists -300mm high
External Straw Bale Walls:
* Wheat Straw (Bickley Farms)
* Polyester strapping for compression and strength
* Bottom boxing with F2 insulation
* Intermediate and Top boxing
* 3 coats earthen render
* First coat: 9 parts red sand/clay mix, 1 parts local earth mix (sandy/clay).
* Second Coat: 8 parts local earth mix (sandy/clay), 4 parts triple washed sand, 1 part lime.
* Third Coat: 10 parts local earth mix (sandy/clay) 5 parts triple washed sand, 1.5 parts lime.